Proposals for Connaught Village Green
Westminster City Council is consulting on proposals to create a new centre for Connaught Village on the Hyde Park Estate. The Connaught Village Green consultation includes a range of ideas to improve social spaces for the community and make pedestrian movement and crossings safer.
Connaught Village Green is located at the junction of Connaught Street and Kendal Street. The scheme proposes the following:
- A new green social space at the heart of Connaught Village, with additional planting, outdoor seating and new paving in natural stone. This would be achieved by relocating three parking bays where Kendal Street meets the Tree of Love.
- Safer crossings, with raised tables and shorter crossing distances for people to cross.
- Widened pavement on the south side of Connaught Street between the junction of Albion Street and Kendal Street, with a loading pad/bay, two new trees, cycle parking and potentially more space for outdoor dining (subject to subsequent pavement licenses).
- Making part of Kendal Street one way south west bound, to narrow the crossing mouth and reduce the likelihood of vehicles driving over pavement corners.
- Updating the north-south cycle line from Hyde Park via Tichbourne Row.
- Introducing a central focus for the community to meet up, socialisie and relax outdoors, with additional seating and a new drinking water fountain.
This scheme benefited from Neighbourhood CIL funding through the Forum in its feasibility stage, back in October 2019.
You can view the detailed drawings here. A drop-in session has been arranged for anyone wanting more information on the scheme on Friday 24 March, from 10am to 3pm at 12 Connaught Street. You can also email the team with any questions.
The consultation closes at 11:59pm on Sunday 2 April 2023. You can complete a questionnaire online.
If the scheme is supported and a decision is made to go ahead with the proposals, the Council will progress to the next stages of design. Work could start on site in January 2024.